Friday, May 14, 2010

Im nervous about cutting my guinea pigs nails..?

have any tips?Im nervous about cutting my guinea pigs nails..?
If you're nervous, then don't do it!





I'd keep the nails, even if they hurt. If a vet clipped them for you, then they'd grow back in a week, anyway.





Keep 'em.Im nervous about cutting my guinea pigs nails..?
That's completely understandable.


This link throroughly explains cutting guinea pigs nails, and should help a lot.


http://www.guinealynx.com/nails.html





Good luck!
I get nervous too, but what I do is put a towel over his eyes so he can't see and cut them that way. He won't be so stressed out and try and wiggle out of your grip. Don't cut them too short though or his little toe will bleed. You can take him to the vet and get them cut there if that makes you more comfortable. Good Luck!
I agree with the first answer. If you put a large stone or rock near the water bottle then when they stand on it to drink it will keep their nails in check and is also good for them to gnaw on as it keeps their teeth down.
i never cut mine, i got rocks from outside and put them in the cage, after cleaning them of course, so that when my guinea pig walked over them or whatever it filed their nails and it worked decently
Do not cut much off. They will bleed if cut too far. Yu can see where the color changes. Cut before that.
Get the vet to show you how to do it. You can do this over the phone or at the next check-up. It's really not hard, you just have to make sure not to cut too close to their paw or it will bleed (not to wig you out or anything!)
Mine will NEVER let me cut theirs, and I'm so afraid that I'll cut the quick and hurt them and it will bleed.





I just take them to the vet's all at once. It's a good excuse to get a checkup every few weeks, + I don't have to worry about hurting my babies!
I've never done it! I'm nervous too because I am positive he would bite me...and they have big teeth lol. Maybe take it to the vet?
Hold your guinea pig tightly, stroke him, and talk to him. Cover his eyes, and then only cut off the tips or else they could bleed. It also helps to have two people doing it. One person holding and comforting the guinea pig, and the other one cutting his nails.


GOOD LUCK!! It takes practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment